Ray cheng , dds, md
- Surgical Residency: New York University Medical Center/ Bellevue Hospital Center
- General Surgery Internship: New York University Medical Center/ Bellevue Hospital Center
- Medical School: New York University School of Medicine
- Dental School: Columbia University College of Dental Medicine
- Undergraduate: New York University
- Diplomate, American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Fellow, American Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Chinese American Independent Practice Association (Member)
- New York State Society of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Dental Association
- Chinese American Dental Association
MEET DR.CHENG PERSONALLY
Dr. Ray Cheng was born in Palo Alto, California and raised in Taipei, Taiwan where he attended Taipei American School. He then moved to New York City at the age of 18 where he attended New York University and graduated with a bachelor of arts in Biology and Economics. He then matriculated and earned his dental surgery degree from Columbia University College of Dental Medicine.
While at Columbia, Dr. Cheng was inspired to pursue a career in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery after meeting Dr. Dennis Lee, who became his mentor and close friend. Dr. Cheng then decided to return to New York University where he obtained his Medical Degree and completed his training in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at NYU Langone/Bellevue Hospital. Dr. Cheng remained close with Dr. Lee throughout residency and eventually became partners at Chatham Square Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. Dr. Lee showed Dr. Cheng how to take care of the community with compassion, empathy, and integrity. Dr. Lee regrettably passed away in 2017 but his legacy lives on through Chatham Square Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
Dr. Cheng is a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He is a Part-time Assistant Clinical Professor in the Oral Surgery Department at New York University College of Dentistry and at the Manhattan VA Hospital. Dr. Cheng takes facial trauma and dental emergency call at Lenox Hill Hospital where he also has admitting privileges in the Department of Otolaryngology. He is licensed to practice both dentistry and medicine in New York.
Dr. Cheng is trained in the full scope of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery but now focuses primarily in dentoalveolar surgery, including dental implant surgery, extraction of wisdom teeth and diseased teeth, and different techniques in bone grafting. He also treats a plethora of intraoral pathology including benign tumors, cysts, and osteonecrosis/osteomyelitis of the jaw.
Dr. Cheng has lectured regionally at NYU College of Dentistry, study club for Chinese American Dental Association, and Grand Rounds at Charles B Wang Community Center. He partners with Nobel Biocare and hosts bi-annual study clubs dedicated to implant surgery.
Dr. Cheng is married with a young daughter. He enjoys watching and playing basketball, snowboarding, watching movies and spending quality time with his family.